: Monday August 25th 2008DAY 1001
: Sunday May 22nd 2011The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as new year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years, 143 weeks) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Some common goal setting tips:
1. Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.
2. Stay Focussed. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.
3. Welcome Failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.
4. Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.
5. Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.
Bold: Tasks In-Progress
**********2/101 TASKS COMPLETED (as of September 8th 2008) ( Read more... )
005. Learn more about Asatru – there is always more to learn!
006. Finish writing Starchaser..
007. Move into a house (rented or bought, it doesn’t matter!)
008. Get another dog.
009. Set up an Asatru group that meets regularly.
010. Read all the books currently in the “I plan to read” section on my Shelfari account.
011. Buy all the books currently on my Amazon Wishlist.
012. Buy all the DVDs currently on my Amazon Wishlist.
013. See Green Day play live.
014. See Nickelback play live (again.)
015. See Amon Amarth play live.
016. See Sonata Arctica play live (again.)
017. See Avril Lavigne play live (again.)
018. See Goldfinger play live.
019. Set up a successful business selling books.
020. Get a job worthy of my Zoology HND if I complete it.
021. Do more voluntary work with animals.
022. Visit Canada.
023. Visit the Natural History Museum in London (again.)
024. Master jewellery making.
025. Start the Diabetes course run by the Open University.
026. Visit Cresswell Crags (again.)
027. Visit Mam Tor in the Peak District (again.)
028. Visit Odin’s Mine in the Peak District (again.)
029. Visit Devil’s Arse (yes, Devil’s Arse), in the Peak District (again.)
030. Go to a pagan (hopefully Asatru), gathering.
031. Watch all seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (starting from the first season, from today.)
032. Watch all seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation (starting from the first season, from today.)
033. Watch all seasons of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (starting from the first season, from today.)
034. Watch all seasons of Star Trek: Voyager (starting from the first season, from today.)
035. Watch all seasons of Stargate SG-1, including the made for DVD movies (starting from the first season, from today.)
036. Watch all seasons of Stargate Atlantis (starting from the first season, from today.)
037. Watch all seasons of Angel (starting from the first season, from today.)
038. Watch all seasons of Babylon 5 (starting from the first season, from today.)
039. Watch all seasons of Sliders (starting from the first season, from today.)
040. Watch all seasons of Dark Angel (starting from the first season, from today.)
041. Watch the entire Star Wars saga over a weekend/two days (including the new Clone Wars movie), in chronological order.
Finish this stupid list.
043. Complete the exercise programmes in the two books I have (at least once.)
044. Visit Dudley Zoo (again.)
045. Visit Chester Zoo (again.)
046. Visit Whipsnade Zoo (again.)
047. Sell all the books I have listed on Green Metropolis.
048. Learn the Runes.
049. Stop eating chocolate for a month.
050. Take some photos of fungi.
051. Make 1001 icons (starting from today.)
052. Make 1001 buttons (starting from today.)
053. Read the entire X-Wing series while I’m at Uni (long story, but while I was doing my GCSEs at school, we went to Derby University for a day trip. I was reading Wedge’s Gamble, or it might have been Rogue Squadron at the time, I can’t remember, and I took the book with me. I never dreamed that ten years later I’d be studying there!)
054. Get a pair of Degus.
055. Read the Prose Edda.
056. Read the Poetic Edda.
057. Learn Yoga.
058. Read The Saga of the Volsungs.
059. Read Beowulf (the poem, not the film novelisation!.)
060. Read the Mabinogion.
061. Read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
062. Read Gulliver’s Travels.
063. Get at least one “exotic” mammal species (excluding chinchillas and degus) as a pet.
064. Get a passport.
065. Finish painting & assembling the Warhammer/Rackham/Lord of the Rings miniatures I’ve got.
066. Write more regularly in my paganism diary – it’s been too neglected!
067. Celebrate all Asatru holidays for at least one year.
068. Write a book about Ecclesall Woods, an ancient woodland in Sheffield, detailing its natural history, throughout the seasons, illustrated with my own photography.
069. (see above) and attempt to get it published
070. Make a new collection of link buttons for the Jedi Girl Community (must number at least 50), to replace the out-of-date old fashioned ones.
071. Make a proper website for my pixel dolls.
072. Get a lap top.
073. Get a new CD player.
074. Get a portable DVD player.
075. Start my antro/furry art collection (see Goldenwolf and Dark Natasha’s sites for the type of art I mean.)
076. Watch all the Indiana Jones films in chronological order.
077. Visit Monkey World, the UK’s ape rescue centre.
078. Watch all the Lord of the Rings “trilogy” in one week.
079. See a living badger in the wild.
080. See another lunar eclipse.
081. Improve my maths (yeah, even after the chemistry section of the OU course I am STILL not happy with it – it was maths that let me down and stopped me getting an overall score above 70)
082. Expand my alternative clothing wardrobe (money and waist size limit what I can do, so it’s a more fun reason to lose weight, than just controlling the diabetes.)
083. (Dependant on if I get a house), but start a real garden.
084. Avoid buying a book from Waterstones or any other bookshop for at least two months. Includes university books, as well.
085. No crisps, sweets, biscuits, chocolate or chips etc for a month.
086. Avoid buying anything from Tesco for three months.
087. Give the The Silmarillion another chance.
088. Do more walking. Since moving to Sheffield, I’ve not kept it up.
089. Finish writing The Bounty Hunter.
090. Finish writing Dark Horizon.
091. Be a more active user on theforce.net (as long as it doesn’t interfere with the Zoology HND)
092. Start the Introducing Astronomy short course at the OU.
093. Get out more (but only if it doesn’t cost money!)
094. Get a new mobile phone. The one I have now is ancient!
095. Find a “friend” for the chinchillas.
096. Get all sites up to date.
097. Take up drawing/painting again.
098. Make scenery for the Warhammer/Rackham/Lord of the Rings miniatures.
099. Learn to make homemade bread.
100. Learn to make homemade pastry.
101. On day 1001, write a new list.
A bit of an ambitious list there, but you can intend to do stuff and then don't complete it without realising you didn't even start. I can see some that likely won't be completed in time, but it's best not to let that stop you from trying. It will record my progress in here and well, I'll wait and see at the end of the 1001 days which ones I managed to actually complete. (Perhaps I should have put going on a real holiday in there somewhere...)